Saturday, November 21, 2015

The Makeover is Almost Complete... or... The Empress is Just About Over It... or... Can We Get Back to Normal Now?

Hello Dhaaarlings...

It has been a while..

Things have been slightly hectic round The Palais of late...
New carpet has finally been laid in the hallway and lounge which means that the renovations have almost concluded... I say almost as there remains some wall tiling to do in the laundry area and then the celebratory festivities can finally commence.... It seems that things have been dragging on all year... well not seems... they Have been dragging on... but the end is in sight...




The carpet laying was not without drama and became a Saga in itself.
On the day it was due to be laid we had a phonecall from the company saying that they couldn't go ahead as planned as the person laying the carpet refused the job... something about old stock and poor quality... did us a favour by walking out on the job really. 
I cancelled the order and went to another supplier who came around that very day, quoted, and had the job completed within the week.

Suffice to say... the job is done and the Empress is very happy with the result and the fact that the house is now back in order..  

There has been a "New"... 
(and I use the term "New" loosley as the Emperess has had it in sorage for about 10 years) 
Wallpaper border print put up above the picture rail...

Imagine my delight on discovering that the pre pasted glue had lost its stickability.
After running the first length through the waterbath... climbing up the ladder while wrestling with a length of drippy wet wallpaper...
I'd just get the length smoothed out and in position climb down then turn around to find the other end peeling gracefully off the wall behind me...

Frustration Central!

Finally finding a roll that still had some workable glue... I eventually got the job done but not without just a bit of swearing...

Border print finally not peeling off the wall...

Border Print close-up


The Tiling in the laundry... I'll be doing myself... I've tiled before and it's a job that I like doing...

The purchase of the tiles is a whole other story... To save some money on the budget we secided to look for "End of range" tiles on sale
I found the right quantitiy of tiles in a colour and size suitablefor the job to cover 2 and 1/2 square meters of wall behind the washing machine and laundry trough between the window sill and floor in the laundry area.
3 boxes at $8 a box... $24 total
Bargain!




The Empress was impressed with the find and very happy about the cost... 
On the way out of the store she managed to spy a sample of some small glass mosaics  
"Oooh" she cooed
"I like these Princess" her eyes lighting up... and "I think they'd make a lovely border along the top of the others... Don't you?"
"How many sheets would we need"
After some rapid mathematics with the helpfully hovering sales woman we decided that 5 tile sheets would suffice if they were cut in half...
"There goes the budget" I grumbled as we finally left the store
 The Empress almost skipping her way blissfully to the car announced...

"Well... We saved so much on the other tiles... I may as well have what
I wan't!"

Needless to say that 2 weeks and the best part of $150.00 later... we have some lovely looking  albeit expensive mosaics to go with the real bargains...
I'm just hoping that the left over glue from my Brothers' recent tiling adventure will stick them to the wall and we won't have a repeat of the wallpapering fiasco!




20 comments:

  1. Darling, our homes are like us Dames. Is a masterpiece truly ever done? We only just get better and more fabulous. You end results , I must say look great. Now please tell me your going to relax and have a cocktail now, and for some time, and not start another 1,453 piece costume ensemble for another play????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be taking tome time off from costumes until next year with a production of Oklahoma! So Oil up your chaps darling...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, my dear. Nice details and I love the front door. It all gives a feeling of warmth and cozyness.
    I also recall the burden of putting one of those wallpaper border. Never more! I said. ;)
    Hugs to you and the Emperess
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Huggy Jon,
      the front door has always been a feature of this old house and i love it...

      Delete
  3. Nice, and I lovelovelove the ceiling moldings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob... It's nice just to have the room finished

      Delete
  4. Well, everything looks really lovely. And just in time for the Summer party season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Lax.. Summer party season is underway...

      Delete
  5. Is that a small tartan-clad clown by the door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mistress... That Tartan-clad Clown... happens to be a mouse shaped door stop. It is clad in tartan but wearing a frock with a matching mob cap. It belonged to the Empresses Mother so has a lot of sentimental value... if not for that I'd throw it out... ehem... re gift it...

      Delete
  6. Aaaannd relax! Well, almost - Good luck with the tiling. I must say, The Empress picked some quite delightful little mosaic tiles - lovely sparkle!

    P.S. I'm glad you posted a close up of that wallpaper border as I thought it was a line of stegosauruses tramping around your ceiling in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say that I have tired eyes, hence mistaking flowers for dinosaurs.

      Delete
    2. Eye can see how easily the mistake might be made...
      the Empress does have a good eye for sparkles and may I add that the tiling is no further advanced...

      Delete
  7. Is that tin foil on one of the comfy chairs ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mr Maggs
      You will be heartened to know that it is not tin foil adorning the chair but one of the Empresses many sparkly cushions from her collection...
      Although now that you have mentioned it.. I might just re decorate with tinfoil, but i'm sure that it has been done before...

      Delete
  8. testtestets - if this works I'll have you hyperlinked - HA !

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing job you've done! Your glass window door looks beautiful and your ceiling is gorgeous. The tiles look great & I like the touches of bling that add sparkle & pizzazz to the home.

    -----((*))--
    ------*o*---
    ----*o*o*
    --*o*o*o*o*
    o*o*-]o[-*o*o

    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to Princess, Empress, the entire family & household! May the holidays fill your home with joy & love. And may the New Year surround you with happiness, peace, & good times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see creepy orbs on the telly. Merry Christmas Princess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. -----((*))--
    ------*o*---
    ----*o*o*
    --*o*o*o*o*
    o*o*-]o[-*o*o

    Happy Holidays to you, Princess, the Empress, the rest of the Royal Household & Staff!

    May the New Year surround you with good fortune, good people, grant you good health & good times.

    Cheers & Best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete