Friday, October 9, 2015

Invasion of the Triffids...

Hello Dhaaarlings...

Two quick snaps of some rather strange fungi I spied in the garden on our recent travels north.





So far I've not been able to identify it, (not that I've done a lot of extensive research... well none really)


But still... I did find it to be quite fascinating in both it's colour and shape...
But it did smell a bit like poo with a tinge of rotting flesh!

For now I'm referring to it as a red triffid

*Update*

After some exhaustive research... well a ckickerative enquiry on google
my searching has been resolved...

I've just discovered that it is commonly called a red "Red Star Fungus" or a 
"Stink Horn"

Read more about them "Here" Darlings

I'm spent now and need a good lay down to rest my fingers after all that hard investigative keyboard research...

Bottoms up! 

6 comments:

  1. Yeeuch! It looks like some hideous alien thing, or something that's hauled itself out of the sea. Fascinating, but repulsive at the same time. Especially as it smells of poo, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does kind of look like a bum hole...

    Fascinating stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♪ ♫ And I really got hot
    When I saw Janette Scott
    Fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills ♪ ♫

    "Science Fiction/Double Feature"
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now sticky horn I'm familiar with as am I a horn that is sticky, but this strange fungi? Not sure, but I did see something like this over at Infomaniac.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really bizarre - I found it for you on Wikipedia: "Aseroe rubra, commonly known as the anemone stinkhorn, sea anemone fungus and starfish fungus. The scientific name is derived from the Ancient Greek words for 'disgusting' and 'juice'."

    I've had a few of those in my time. Unfortunately.

    Jx

    ReplyDelete