Friday, March 12, 2010

A Shocking Adventure....


Since returning to "The Palais"...

Regular delivery of provisions are not resuming until next week...



And in discovering that the house boys...




 are taking liberties whist the Empress recovers and canot be relied upon...

and obviously in desperate need of her firm guidance...


 

Although they do seem quite able to improvise..

Princess decided upon taking a little adventure and drove herself...
 to the the local food emporium...



And what an awfully rude experience it was...



Anticipating that there would be a valet parking service...

Imagine my horror when informed that I would need to park my automobile myself. In some thing called a car park!
I drove around and around until I found a space to park...




Having never experienced this phenomenon, I did try my best ...

On entering the establishment I was mortified to find that I would be required to take a "shopping trolley"



 and gather the provisions myself!

It would seem that the days when you entered the local store...


To be greeted by eagerly awaiting and cheerful staff...


 to personally serve you, "Thankyou Mr Aubergine"

Are gone!

Instead you are met with...



What seems like acres of these...

And look a bit like ....


This....
Whilst locating the required provisions..

Then you approach the cashier expecting...

 

This..

But instead, find that it is now called a "check out" which I found to be very confusing, as I was not aware that I had checked in...

and then to find a young gentlman...


Behind the counter, doing this....

while placing a "This counter is closed" sign in front of me.

Then...

 After removing the surrogate breast from his lips
(are these people not weaned from suckling these days?) 

Stated...


"You can go through the self serve checkout if you want, or, wait for another register to open" 

And there was I, thinking that I Had...

Already "Served Myself" 

I waited patiently for another register to open and then...


 Discovered that I was expected to take the provisions I had just purchased.... to my automobile myself!

I was so very, very, overjoyed at this revelation...

And totally ...


  And utterly exhausted from my horrendous ordeal...

I drove home crazily in my frustration and bewilderment  


after such a harrowing experience...

And thinking to myself... 
just how much things have changed...



I was very relieved...
 to be returning to the peace and tranquility of the "Palais"



Or So I Thought!



Somebody get me a drink!

9 comments:

  1. having just returned from the market, i so totally understand y'alls pique, sugar! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the checkers never enforce the "10 items or less" limit!

    Oh Hai Savannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually had a car back up and hit my vehicle in the grocery store parking lot! They bumped into my spare tire mounted on the back door and dented their rear fender! And they didn't want to the authorities involved because they didn't want their insurance to go up! It was some young couple with two small children, in their very old car. My car was okay, no damage. And I figured they could do with a break, so I let them go. They thanked me profusely and we both went our ways.

    Oh, I hate self checkout! I always stand in line and wait for the cashier. I make sure the cashier earns that minimum wage! It's my way of keeping them employed and from being replaced by a machine!

    When I first moved to Texas, I was shocked that the bag person actually takes your groceries to the car, for free! On the East Coast, they take your groceries out but they expect a tip! Here's a tip: Get a better job!

    Not that I need help taking my stuff out myself. I politely decline. But I'm with XL; I hate it when some mofo gets in the 10 items or fewer line and they're buying more than 10 items!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. Perhaps the grocery store has a delivery service and can send out their delivery boys so you can enjoy their goods! Or better yet, put those houseboys to work and send them out to do the errands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I shop online for groceries.

    a) I'm lazy

    b) stops me from getting tempted by all the so-called bargains.

    You really need to discipline the houseboys. They should be doing the shopping for you and the Empress. No point in having a dog and barking yourself, as they say in Trinidad.

    Come on, whip them into shape.

    Or are you witholding because you know they'll just enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Roses talks about the whip ...

    These self checkout things have not yet found their way over here. Creepy idea, a supermarket open 24 hours, only some people who refill shelves, when ordered in by the electronical system that keeps all in check; not even cashiers, but only machines and barcodes and a surveillance system ... worshipping the merchandise, the goods, the "equivalent" we call money, truely a location left by god, no wunder you return exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Savannah,
    I just did not expect the lack of service!

    Dear Xl,
    Who ever hs 10 items or less?
    They seem to have gotten around this over here bt making them 10 to 15 items or less.

    Dear Eros,
    I was toying with the idea of sending the Houesboys to shop. But they seemed to be enjoying themselves so, and I did feel like a little adventure at the time.

    That was so nice of you with that young family at the car park.

    Dear Roses,

    Thank you for the suggestion re the Houseboys and stay tuned...
    Does one ever really get a bargain at a supermarket? Tho one thinks one should given all the wages that they appear to be saving on!

    Dear Mago,
    Beware, self service checkouts will be coming to a store near you!
    And i am going to take up Miss Roses suggestion

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gods. What a horrid experience for you, adventure or not.
    I expect you've since 'persuaded' the Houseboys to resume their duties? Or will you be subsisting on 'liquid lunches' from now on, and to Hell with the (not so) Supermarket?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mr DeVice,

    I think that you will see that i have taken things in hand :)

    ReplyDelete