Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Now Showing at "The Palais"....


Boxer's Theme for this week Wednesday May 19th is...

Best Science Fiction

A very broad catagory for choice...
Action packed Alien filled excitement..
Trillogies and Series that go on forever...
Comedic Extra-terrestrial Escapades
Crazy machines that take over the world...
Any number of themes within the genre...

But I have gone with a Sci fi Movie that deals with real human endeavour and the potential for it's fruition is I think only just over the horizon...

My choice for this week this week is Gattaca..




A movie that put a chill down my spine,
dealing with the frailties of human ego, family relationships, sibling rivalry and the potential for the development of a designer race where imperfection results as being calssified as invalid!
Creating even bigger social divides based on your genetic makeup.

Scary stuff...  The development of designer babies becoming a new reality, that in the history of the human race is something that is almost upon us now...

A scenario that started as science fiction rapidly becoming science fact, with the mapping of the human genome and screening for imperfections and disease potentials and probabilities in utero, already a reality since this movie was made. And recent failed attempts by big business to patent individual human genes...




Starring Ethan Hawke, Jude Law, and Uma Thurman, I found it to be a moving and intreguing tale of human endeavour and willingness to go to any extreme to reach ones goal... dispite the setbacks and the odds being way against your success...
All three give very strong performances and a cameo by Ernest Borgnine as the supervisor of the
'Defective' cleaner crew is a gem.

This Movie when made I thought seemed a little far fetched at the time...

But they said that about going to the Moon too, and look what happened there!

Oh and guys... if you're planning on being someone else and wan't to get away with it...
Remember the basics!...

13 comments:

  1. Sigh. Another film to add to my ever growing list. I sometimes wonder what the hell I've been doing to have missed so much.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE this film. It's so stylish and relevant. Ethan & Uma have never looked better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have time to watch the clip.

    Unless it involves hot sweaty interplanetary manlovin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eeeew Neli just had hot klingon sex on a rerun of voyager......now there is something one doesnt want to think about too deeply

    ReplyDelete
  5. I menat Nelix , I was so grossed out I dropped my X . I love this film as well . Very deep and deeply stylish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this but remember the premise. Great write up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with MRM - GREAT write up and I'm happy to see a more modern movie. I've heard of this, but because I'm just not a big fan of SciFi, missed it. I think it's worth another look.

    I'm also loving the crystal crown at the top. Pretty.

    Happy MCW! Thanks for playing. You always do a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too love this film and almost all sci-fi except the schlock they crank out on the Sci/Fi channel. Gattaca is so stylish and the point that he is actually better than the designer people really makes the point that being defective can only make one strive to bettering oneself.

    Imagine if they isolate the deviant gene? What would happen to art and culture...a sad world the future will be.

    I’ll take one designer baby and make him gay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember this film. Jude Law's character at the end was just so sad and moving at the same time. My favorite line was at the end, when Ethan Hawke said that we're all made of stars. That's something I truly believe in, long before this movie was made. We're all made of stars, so shine in the darkness and make the universe a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Scarlet
    Perhaps you have been too enthralled in the Ads on Telly?

    Dear IDV
    A very classy movie, the sets, costuming all top notch to create the right mood for the storyline...

    Dear MJ
    You only missed Ethan piddling into a cup, fortunately he didn't miss it...

    Dear Mr Beast

    I fully understand yourlittle mishap with your X key....


    Dear Mr Beast
    Obviously still traumatised, you possibly" menat" to say "meant"
    But i do agree with you on your comment...

    Dear Milk River Madman
    Good to see you again Happy MCW...
    thanks for your comment it is appreciated...

    Dear Boxer
    The Tiara is a new little trinket that I found while ratting through the jewel box...
    It is worth a look at this movie as it has a great plot and the actors are superb in their roles...
    Thanks Boxer, I love MCW.
    I didn't realise just how many movies i have seen over the years and so many that you forget until they pop up on MCW...

    Dear Ayem8ty
    Heaven forbid they should find that gene, Everyone will wan't one implanted. The longer it stays hidden the better...

    Good luck with the designer kid...

    Sorry to tell you, but try as you might there isn't a choice.. they just end up being themselves regardless!

    Dear Eros

    My resident star traveller... You have such a way with language. It is a great line and I too have held this as a premise long before the movie arrived...
    Jude Law was able to display a depth of anger and frustration appropriate for someone who's dreams had been completely shattered, initially I didn't like his character very much but, by the end scene of him in the shower he had me in tears. Very moving...
    I actually felt for all the characters...Something that i find doesn't happen all that often...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have not seen this one. Thanks for the info.

    Happy MCW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello dear Princess, I have to confess that I did not see this film. I was not in the cinema for a long time.
    A very nice tiara! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice, detailed write up for a movie that I only saw part of. I thought it was boring and it just couldn't hold my attention. I didn't think there was enough action in the parts that I saw.

    Happy MCW!

    ReplyDelete